Thursday 19 March 2015

Working on #15, developing #16...

To be honest, I never do things in order. If I did, there'd be comic 25 out by now. But no - it's more like dicking about with three comics at once, always the best most juicy bits first, then a bit of irrelevant rendering here or there, then maybe a blog post and finally, when there's nothing else left ... the next chronological bit of work.

But that's fine, I won't beat myself up about it, that's how lots of perfectly jolly people work and it doesn't harm them. Let's crack on in ANY ORDER HOORAY!!!!

So yesterday I built this sort of padded booth thing, like a retreat single bunk. It won't be used in the
upcoming comic (15), and maybe not even the next one, but oh yes, it'll be used sometime. Yes indeedy. Yes siree. Well used. I've been focussing on how exactly that little zinger will play out, believe me. Yes indeed.

Longtime fans will recognise this little room thing from years back; it was actually originally going to be part of the Opium Snug I designed for 'They Came in Outer Space', but I never ended up needing it because, well, who needs beds when you've got sofas, right? So I deleted the 3D model and didn't give it another thought. That's right; butterfly mind.

But now then, I got to wondering about what sort of things get people together, how intimacy feels, how privacy would play out in a love-the-one-you're-with type of cold scifi spaceship scenario, and I reckon a bit of coupling-up wouldn't go amiss. So let's resurrect the bunk, eh?

Fans of scifi (ie. everyone) will also recognise the reference to The Fifth Element: that classic Japanese-micro-hotel design where the heroes are knocked unconscious for the flight to Plavalaguna [pictured]. I loved that design, seems to suit multi-use space-saving bunks where gee force might change direction and magnitude at any moment, but you need somewhere to stash your kit and get forty winks.


So here's a couple of wireframes, and the model's kitted out now - I've got a few renders I'll upload in a few days probably, development stuff that came out of setting up the lighting etc.

And yes it has UK plugs! Proper plugs.

You're welcome.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you did say you were butterfly minded... Can't expect you to focus on thing. But hey, you sure as hell get em' done with quality dammit!

Tittily Winks said...

Butterfly minded caterpillar eh?

Hey that's how I work.

Which is why it can't be recommended!

But I'm looking forwards to Pt 32. Or was it 42 that's next, followed by 18...?

Project Bellerophon said...

Haha thanks :D

Project Bellerophon said...

Yup. I'm always creating with 16 but I'm thinking about 22 and giving 19 a good long stare

Dillgar said...

Some people just don't get how we think...
We'll be working on a great.....
Squirrel!!!!

Project Bellerophon said...

:D