Wednesday 4 November 2015

The infinite variability syndrome

So it's like a few weeks since I've posted anything. Figured I'd update the world on what's happening in Bellerophon world!

OK, it's not a world, more like an occasional fap-based hobby, but still.

One interesting thing that happened was I read through all the comics from Dive Into The Dark up to the recent one, and I have to say I now rather like the recent one.

It was easy at the time to take the criticism that not much happened (which is true), there was no actual sex etc (which is also true), but to be honest I think it's sexy as hell! One of my favourites now. And knowing what's coming next it's all part of the build-up, so will make more sense to one and all when the next one hits the streets. So I'm happy once more, safe in the knowledge that my little project hasn't derailed, and is actually alright chugging along its cute little awkward path :)

While pondering the whole thing of "They never eat or go to the loo!" (a point which I raised a month or so back), I got to thinking of all my awkward real-world conversations in kitchens at various parties over the years, and realising that actually a kitchen/galley is indeed a valid setting even for a battle-hardened scifi space crew.

So here we are, a couple of obsessive lighting renders, where I'm trying to figure out how the hell to light the scene to give it the right 'feel'.

Bloody hell lighting makes a massive difference - check out these renders - those who've followed my blog(s) for a while will know I always do this - change things minutely, testing every combination of infinite possibilities before I stick with what I want.

It would make FAR more sense to spend that wasted time investing in some decent rendering software so I could render lifelike scenes outside of Poser, thus improving the comic by infinity percent. HOWEVER, I am a bit of a dick when it comes to adopting new techniques, and thus I'm sticking with what I know, and enforcing a quality -ceiling in the renders, totally ignoring the possibilities of the incredible render software out there and shoving my head well and truly into the sand.

Ah well.

Shits and giggles, eh?






12 comments:

Tora-no-shi 1369 said...

Render 1 looks best for the everyday running and other things. Render 4 looks best for night when not in use, or just entering the place. Or how they are numbered on here, Love your work, and will say go at your own pace. I will just enjoy the beautiful work on the way.

giginho3dcomics said...

Oh, I do understand you so much! XD I think I actually spend more time in testing lights and stuff than in actual renders.
I started doing my 3dcomics after reading yours, but I never tought about saying thanks to you for your efforts until now.
Sorry for my english... I even use some proofreaders to correct the english versions of my stuff... but I think that at least I'm understandable.
Keep up the great job, and the great comic!

Tittily Winks said...

Each suggests such different things, and what an effect it has on her expression eh? Can't say what'll work best, but I can:

- say I like Render+3.png best.

- remark Render+2 has a bit of "wacky acerbic comic" vibe about it, eh?

- Suggest a thought. Obviously, this could work as is and it's also nice how it kinda, in an art way, reflects your experiences. You could also go more scifi than a current day kitchen though, without losing the ideas. For example, a scanning thingy on a table might scan them (such that say Xho is dazzled by the sight of her in its certain lighting or something) then offers options fitting their nutrient needs (Ix's angstiness might show as she irritably over-rides it, whacks it till it comes out with something she's more agreeable to or whatever); instead of waiting for something to cook they may be waiting for "molecularisation" and have a preparation, eating or waiting spot that might be just right for whatever the standard current kitchen features were needed for, so it still serves the story ideas. Not necessary at all, but just some thoughts, with it being a scifi setting and all. :)

Project Bellerophon said...

Thanks, and noted ;)

Project Bellerophon said...

Hey wow, thats so awesome, I'm happy to have inspired some other people! I've checked out your site - great quality comics, I'll have to read one sometime :)

Project Bellerophon said...

Hey tw! You're totally right; I was focussing on making a kitchen and having a wall consistent with the bunk design and forgot about the scifi thing! Rookie error :)

Think this calls for some cracking touchscreen visuals and maybe a retro chrome coffee machine or two.. Brb ...

giginho3dcomics said...

It's really great reading these compliments on my work from you.
I'd love to have some suggestions from you, in the future! :D

James Edwards said...

i like render 2 cuz im an evening kind of guy and the lighting is so sexy

Project Bellerophon said...

Yeah render 2 is cool as the whole room, but the prob is when you close up on the characters (like I will be doing), the facial lighting is pants. The cool glowing green floor light almost makes up for it, but the scene'd be wrecked by indifferent face lighting!

I know ... I might have overthought everything ...

Dan said...

If you're wondering how they eat and breath and other science facts, repeat to yourself it's just a book, I should really just relax. (Yes, that's my ham-fisted rip off of MST3K lyrics. It seemed appropriate.) Having said that, the kitchen already looks superb.
Another positive to not shifting to a new renderer - with very few exceptions it is a very expensive proposition. I recently needed to buy a $1000 video card to run stuff for my freelance work. And that's just the hardware.
Plus your results as demonstrated above are stellar (no pun intended) right in the software you currently use.
My pointless two cents worth.

Project Bellerophon said...

Wish I could just 'like' comments, cos I like this one!

Thanks Dan

Knightwing4 said...

I loved it. Their situation in the crawl space was sexy as hell. The only thing I would have done different was, when he accidentally slid his dick across her face she should have stuck her tongue out. You know she wanted to. LOL