Monday 13 November 2017

OK ... maybe Superfly is quite good.

A bit of Photoshop to bring the contrast up and Bing! We'd be done.
I think these renders are quite impressive, especially considering I haven't done anything to update skin materials moving from Firefly to Superfly (which works on completely different principles). Amazing what lighting does.

Long-time followers of the blog will remember I put the Ix model into Modo a few years back and (after a lot of random stabs in the dark) managed to make her out of wood, metal etc. I mean, that's the dream, right? A real person made out of bark chippings (see below) or a solid block of steel?!?! Perfect girlfriend material, right there.

Anyway...




It was great to see proper renders happening; far beyond what Poser could dream of back then. But adding Modo to my workflow wouldn't have worked at the time, and you can't pose the poser characters within Modo either, so it was a pointless exercise other than to dream of what maybe ... one day ... Poser could be capable of.

Skip forward a few years, and not only do we have some physics to play with, but a proper render engine finally!

Oh, and I figured out how to speed up renders too. Yay! I'm really pleased with that first image (above) - it was only an 8-minute render, so if I improve raytracing a bit I reckon I could stand her on a plinth and set myself up selling plastic models on ebay to unsuspecting buyers. Just send them a photograph. Anyway, lying/cheating fantasies of conning people out of their money with fake non-existent plastic models aside ... let's dick around with materials and HDRI ...


Brushed steel. That'd be one hell of a paperweight. If you worked in a 1980s Wall Street office, obviously.
Quick plasticcy 2-minute render.
Clay



A quick test Superfly render with a single point light (left), compared to Firefly (right)

Oh, and it doesn't seem to make a difference to render time how many characters your put in the scene .... O_O
Anyway, so these plastic figurines will be available on my ebay store soon.
What sizes should they come in, and how much would we pay for them?

7 comments:

Ixes said...

OMG, IT'S HAPPENING

Anonymous said...

Life Size! For scientific reasons of course.

Anonymous said...

These are really cool (glass) and/or sexy (many Ixes and also the glass), but I think you've overdone the noise a bit.

Belle said...

OMG don't hold your breath though, I don't intend to make any more comics I'm afraid.

... https://giphy.com/gifs/jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-ToMjGpKniGqRNLGBrhu

darkmikasonfire said...

All I'm hearing and seeing is maybe we'll have another comic series in the future focused on the sexy Xi and her self sex clones.
You say you aren't going to, but... I don't know.

Belle said...

Thanks - yeah the noise isn't intentional, the way the renderer works, it starts out really noisy and then batters photons at the scene and learns more and reduces the noise; less noise takes longer, these are 16 minute renders; about as long as it takes for my patience to wear thin!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh ok, I thought it was a thing to make it look like a photograph. I take pictures of space, so I definitely sympathize with the time/noise tradeoff.

Any chance of a sequence of renders where Ix is glass or plural? Not necessarily any sort of plot, just some frames with a bit of action? Nudge nudge, say no more, nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat?